An Overview of Schoenstatt
Schoenstatt is a district of Vallendar, located 8 km
northeast of Koblenz on the Rhine.
In the Middle Ages (1143) a convent for Augustinian Nuns with a
basilica was built here and was dedicated to "Our Dear Lady".
A tower of the basilica still stands to this day.
chapel belonged to the convent, first mention in 1319. It was destroyed
several times and rebuilt.
Since 1914 this chapel is the chapel of grace of Schoenstatt.
The Pallottine Fathers purchased this property in Schoenstatt. in 1901
A new house of studies was built in early 1911, today known as the
University of Philosophy and Theology of Vallendar.
All the Students from Ehrenbreitstein moved to Schoenstatt in 1912.
With the appointment of Father Joseph Kentenich as Spiritual Director, a
new development began, which lead to the founding of the Apostolic
Movement of Schoenstatt.